Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Grannie...



(This is the way I want to always remember them, happy and healthy.)


It has been a very trying and stressful week for our family. My Grandma, whom I think I have always referred to as my Grannie, has been in and out of the hospital for the last month. First she wasn't keeping anything down, and now she has really just spiraled down to where she can barely hold a conversation with you or keep from closing her eyes from being so tired.
My mom has been at her bedside almost everyday this last week, helping her get a drink and getting to the bathroom. Mick and the kids and I went there on Sat to visit her and I was just taken back by how malnurished she looks. I began to cry and just thought that the kids shouldn't see her like this, so we took Mom and went to have lunch. Today Amanda and I went back to the hospital to sit with Grannie, while mom stayed home to get somet things done around her house that she hasn't been able to do this past week.
During all of this last week my grandpa was admitted to the hospital as well, he has recovered and is back at her side patiently waiting her return home. My Uncle Jimmy has come over from Washington today as well. My Great Aunt and Uncle Joe and Diane are coming into town some time this week.

We are moving her from Caldwell to Meridian. It appears that from earlier this week her condition has gotten much worse and we just don't feel that Caldwell is doing a good enough job to help grannie get better. I will be returning to her side tomorrow before I have to go to work.

Sitting in my Grannie's room today I remembered a lot of fun times we use to have. My grannie use to have a Jeep when I was younger. My fondest memory was when we were leaving the Karcher Mall and she would always on purpose drive over the curb and say out loud, "let's pop a wheelie." Us girls sitting in the back thought it was a hoot! Grannie would always do the "funky chicken dance" anytime we had a family get together. I loved going to her house in the summer, they always had fun things to do, and she use to have these vitamin C tablets that I thought were candy and I always ate them when we would come over.

I love you Grannie, and I pray that you aren't in any pain and that you come out of this healthy and get to go home becuase I know that is where grandpa wants you to be.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers and our family as well while we deal with the uncertainty of what lies ahead for her recovery. I know my mom is trying to be strong and be there to support everyone, so please pray for her that she isn't trying to bare the burden for the rest of us. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post on grandma. I love those stories, we were always laughing with grandma around.

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for your grannie, it is so hard to see them in that condition. I laughed thinking of any grandma saying "let's pop a wheelie, now that is funny"! Memories are really the best, I am so glad I have so many of my grandparents too.